Monday, September 08, 2008

Dafydd Iwan wins Plaid Presidency vote

Dafydd Iwan has been re-elected as Plaid Cymru President after a Summer campaign fought against Elfyn Llwyd, in a "close contest".

As many people will know, I voted for Elfyn, but, like almost everyone in Plaid to whom I spoke during the Summer, I would be happy with either man in that role.

Certainly, with Elfyn still at the leadership table through his position as Leader of the Parliamentary Group, his experience and skills will not be lost at the top of the party.

I do feel that a competition for the post was very important, providing legitimacy and a mandate from the party membership for the winner, as well as allowing a debate about the future direction of Plaid.

I attended the hustings in Cardiff which was a lively discussion of how Plaid has developed over the past few years, the role of the President inside the party and what sustainable changes could be made during the next electoral cycle.

Having won the election, I look forward to Dafydd Iwan pushing forward some of the points that were raised by the membership. Again, something else for our minds to focus on at Conference this week!

No comments: